"When I started running, I was so embarrassed, I'd walk when cars passed me," said Joan Benoit Samuelson. "I'd pretend I was looking at the flowers." However, Samuelson stuck with it (she was using running as a way to recover from a broken leg), and eventually she went on to win the gold medal at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
There's that motivation to lace up your running shoes. And then, there's these ten inspiring photos from around the world.
1. AUSTRALIA: Yes, @outdoors_mum goes running in the elements. "Trail running can be beautiful, challenging and scary all in the one run," she writes.
2. NEW YORK: Thousands of people—from octogenarians to first timers to costumed ballerinas—will be making their way through the five boroughs today. @f3eventschicago will be there, toeing the line!
3. IRELAND: Behold @fit_body_fit_mind, completing an early morning run in the Dublin mountains.
4. CAMBODIA: And then, like @alordonc, you can run around the Angkor Wat temple complex, the largest religious monument in the world.
5. CANADA: @kimfostercunningham's "little piece of paradise..."
6. POLAND: It's 52 degrees in Krakow right now, but @aanilorak can handle it, "dressed to the teeth" in winter gear for her run.
7. GERMANY: Start your morning like @running.alexandra: with a brisk 12.5k run through Hamburg's fresh autumn air and many brightly colored leaves.
8. JAPAN: @markeite does his first run along the Tamagawa River today, just as the sun is rising.
9. SOUTH AFRICA: When @matt_w goes running, it's down dirt paths and over rolling hills, with a little mist thrown into the mix.
10. MEXICO: A stunning view in Mazatlan greets @habichthorn as she gets back into the running groove this week.
By Ona Abelis
Ona is a Brooklyn-based writer who will spending the next year getting back into her fitness groove. And maybe skydiving.
Leave a Reply.